3.31.13
Easter Sunday was interesting
because it rained again. The only day where it was sunny was Saturday and I
loved it. I feel like the weather has so much to do with peoples
personalities. I was the last one up on
Sunday morning. I waited this time because I was like the 3rd one up
on Saturday and that was really early like 830am. The place where I am staying
at is Loli’s home. She is elderly around 60 years old. Sweet lady but it was awkward
at first because by now I should be used to meeting and greeting people but
after you introduce yourself so many times like I did on Friday evening, I run
out of things to say. And of course you don’t want everything to be about you,
now do you? Well, I got up at 10:30am and went downstairs. Loli’s mom and Loli and
Loli’s husband’s cousin was there with his wife. He is an amazing artist. He
kept showing me his artwork at the two houses that we stayed at; Loli’s house
and another lady who I keep forgetting what she is to Loli. Everyone is
connected in someway, cousins, grandmother, in laws etc. I ate breakfast, their
typical breakfast, toast with olive oil and ham on top (which by the way, I am
getting so tired and bored of having ham all the time). They also add sugar on
top of the olive oil.
I then went to church, alone. They
were not going to go on Sunday. The grandmother, CANDY, is what she is called
around here, said they stopped going a long time ago. I believe they are
catholic. Candy also told me many times that Loli’s husband died 5 years ago
from lung cancer, in other words from smoking. Welcome to Spain- second hand
smoking. That is one thing I noticed first, was that nearly everyone smokes
around here. I’m trying to continue to keep my lungs clear but I see its going
to be hard, especially for the two months that I am here. No one but the Cousin
Mario smoked around us.
After I got back from church which
was really 60 seconds away for Loli’s house, because its just across the
street, I came and went to the bedroom because it seemed as the house was
empty. Then all of a sudden everyone came to the kitchen so I did too. They were
just waiting for Fernando from Venezuela to arrive. When he finally arrived at
3 pm, there were like 3 whole families there. I introduced myself and we all
left in 3 cars to another relative called Teresa. She has twin boys. They are
both 8 years old and cute at first but after being with them from
330pm-midnight, they were getting kind of annoying. We went over and again, the
houses are huge, long and cold. Something I found very interesting was that
they put a heater under the kitchen table and a long wool cloth over the table;
just enough to cover your legs and you actually do cover your thighs and legs
with the table cloth. I thought it was just at loli’s house, but no it’s a common
thing here. I guess they want you to keep your legs warm while your eating?
One thing that was pretty neat at
Teresa’s house was that besides that it was like a family reunion, because
relatives from Madrid only came once a year during Easter is that they really
pick at appetizers and drink and then one big dish came out. Well what do you
know, that big dish was rice with a lot of things in it. I learned that this
dish was the famous papaya. It was alright actually. I had my first drink of
red wine in Spain. Everyone also seems to have someone. Like no one was left
single, except for me without Sanel. Family is huge in Spain and mating is also
a common thing. I seen it when I walked downtown and just on the street,
couples everywhere.
These are the twins Victor and Miguel. They are 8 years old. To me they are identical and I could not tell them apart! I was in their house for Easter Sunday which is where the dinner took place. By the end of the night I learned that they have completely different personalities. Both are very sweet and talkative!
Fernando's wife and son on her left. They came from Venezuela and are staying a week in Cordoba.
This is my host "mother." Her name is Loli. Her husband passed away 5 years ago and every since its been just her mother and herself at the house. And of course visitors when they come and international student teachers. I believe I am her second one from America!
This is Ana on my right hand side and Elly. Ana is the girlfriend of a man name Ruben whose is one of Loli's nephew. They just moved in together last year. She is only 28 years old. She was so lovely and the closest to my age which is why I think I connected with her most. she majored in psychology and is now working at a clinic. Elly is her mother in law.
The guy taking the picture is Fernando. he came from Venezuela for a week and is also staying at Loli's house where I am staying. I don't see him much because they visit relatives and come back really late when I am in bed sleeping for an early morning at school.
This is the "main" dish. Everyone was given a spoon and small plate to try some. Its the famous dish from Spain: Papaya.
Their soda's are different size and even different taste. I thought one had a taste of alchohol for some odd reason.
These two photos above and below are what each person brought. Everyone just picked at them. THere were about 20 some people and there was still a lot of food left over. Ham is so popular to have on any dish. I've had so much ham, more than what I'll ever have in the states.
This bowl above is actually a cold soup. I've never eaten cold soup but its quiet good. It comes with ham on top.
This is Fernando's wife and son Fernando Jr. Kids are so cherished and praised that my co-op says parents never like when teachers criticized their children. I can believe that!














Looks soooo fun.
ReplyDelete